POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : mac versions. : Re: mac versions. Server Time
18 May 2024 08:59:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mac versions.
From: David Burnett
Date: 12 Nov 2002 15:28:34
Message: <3dd16472$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:23:17 +0000, James Gray wrote:

> Could you, or someone else, please detail the steps you used to compile
> this for those of us who have never tried such things?

I'll have go, it was a while ago....

Number one is install the latest developer software from ADC.

The next thing you need are versions of libjpeg, libtiff and zlib, I
compiled these from source due to 10.2 being a new thing back then, but
you can get them from fink amongst others now. I had to do some fiddling
with the builds to get them to work mostly to do with compatability
versions, so I suggest getting the canned versions if you can.

Download the UNIX sources, run configure as usual. I used...

./configure --with-x=no -prefix=/Users/vargol

go to the src directory and edit the Makefile, remove the reference to
povxlib.o from the povray_OBJECTS section if its still in there, and
povxlib.c from povray_SOURCES. This is what the --with-x=no is supposed to
do, they might have fixed it since I built POV.

then

make
make install

if you don't use the prefix option you will need to sudo make install
instead.

If you've never built anything from the command line before just give us a
yell and I'll expand on the instructions.

Dave